Composing a strong essay introduction about your family history
So, you’ve been assigned to write a family history essay. You have done your research and questioned your relatives about your ancestors, but now you do not know what to do with all that information, or how to put it all together. More importantly, you do not know how to write your introduction paragraph! You needn’t worry, read our guidelines and get prepared to rock your family culture essay!
- Doing the right research
Gathering information about your ancestors could seem daunting, but it is easier that you might think. True, it takes some time to get all the pieces glued together, but if you do it right it can be very interesting, and it will give you a better appreciation of things you take for granted. Try to understand how your family today has what it has, and what sacrifices were made back then for your family to live the life you have now. Be grateful for the work of your grandparents, and your great-grandparents. When gathering information about your family tree, try to focus on unique life stories rather than on dates, years, and just relations. Finding out details about your ancestors can be fun and writing about their life stories in your homework will make your paper more interesting to read. Start with your parents, uncles, aunts, grandparents, etc. Hearing stories about themselves and their stories about your great grandparents is often much more engaging than finding a family tree online, or reading about them from your family diaries.
- Structuring your paper
The structure of the “essay on my family” is similar to any other. There should be an introduction paragraph in which you will grab your reader’s attention and make them want to continue reading your story. Then compose body paragraphs, which can be divided depending on how you choose to write about your family. For example, you can devote each paragraph to a member of your family, where you will write a short text about an interesting detail from their life and their impact on your family’s life today. Using graphs in your family culture essay is almost a must, so either ask someone to help you craft your family tree with the help of the internet. Using various data throughout your essay will make it more of a research assignment, than a story about your family. Decide which direction you want to take, and go ahead and write. In the end, write a conclusion paragraph.
- The introduction paragraph
And now, the most important tip. How to put together an amazing introduction paragraph? An introduction paragraph that will snatch your readers’ attention? Here are some of the best ways to do it properly:
1) Start with an anecdote from your grandma or grandpa. For example, write how they first met and decided to have a family together, describe the circumstances, etc.
2) Describe a situation in which you realized how much your ancestors affected your life and why.
3) If there is an interesting background (and there must be) to one of your ancestor’s story about starting his business, or building his first house, or moving from one country to another, write about that in a way that defines the tone of your paper.
4) If one of your relatives was a famous person, you could begin by telling the story about him/ her.
5) Maybe there is a forbidden love story about your great grandparents? One of them was poor and the other one rich, but they decided to get married despite their families’ differences? Begin with that!
Every homework demands attention and time to get finished and done properly. Approach this one with an open mind, and you won’t lack a terrific paper in the end!